A quick guide on the benefits of using eco-friendly cleaning products and some examples of effective alternatives for a cleaner and greener home.
In recent years, there has been a growing concern about the impact of traditional cleaning products on our health and the environment. Many conventional cleaning products contain damaging chemicals that can be toxic to humans and contribute to pollution when they enter our water systems. As a result, more and more people are turning to eco-friendly cleaning products that are non-toxic and sustainable.
Benefits of Eco-Friendly Cleaning Products
Eco-friendly cleaning products are made from natural and biodegradable ingredients. Unlike conventional cleaning products that often contain harsh chemicals, eco-friendly alternatives utilize plant-based ingredients such as vinegar, baking soda, and citrus extracts.
They are non-toxic. Traditional cleaning products often contain chemicals such as ammonia, bleach, and phthalates, which can be harmful if inhaled or absorbed through the skin. In contrast, eco-friendly cleaning products are free from these harmful substances, making them safer for both the user and their household.
Furthermore, eco-friendly cleaning products are more sustainable compared to their conventional counterparts. Conventional cleaning products are often packaged in single-use plastic containers which contribute to the global plastic waste crisis. On the other hand, many eco-friendly alternatives come in recyclable or biodegradable packaging, reducing the environmental impact.
Some effective eco-friendly cleaning products for different areas of your home:
- All-purpose cleaner: Instead of using chemical-laden all-purpose cleaners, consider making your own using natural ingredients like vinegar, water, and essential oils. Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle and add a few drops of your preferred essential oil for a pleasant scent. This mixture works well for cleaning countertops, sinks, and other surfaces.
- Floor Cleaner: Traditional floor cleaners often contain harmful chemicals. A better alternative is to use a mixture of warm water, a small amount of liquid castile soap, and a few drops of essential oil. This solution effectively cleans various types of flooring without leaving behind toxic residues.
- Bathroom cleaner: To tackle grime and soap scum in your bathroom, try using a paste made from baking soda and water. Baking soda is a gentle yet effective abrasive that helps remove stains and odors.
- Laundry detergent: Many conventional laundry detergents contain synthetic fragrances and harsh chemicals that can irritate the skin and harm aquatic life when washed down the drain. Look for eco-friendly laundry detergents that are made from plant-based ingredients and are free from phosphates.
- Dish soap: Opt for eco-friendly dish soaps that are free from phosphates, chlorine, and synthetic fragrances. Look for plant-based formulations that use natural cleaning agents like coconut oil or olive oil. These dish soaps effectively cut through grease without leaving behind harmful residues on your dishes.
How to buy eco-friendly cleaning products
When brands utilize terms such as eco-friendly, green, all-natural, and sustainable on their packaging without providing clear explanations, they engage in “greenwashing” of their products. To steer clear of cleaning products that have been greenwashed, experts suggest searching for cleaning products that carry ‘ecolabel’ certifications. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) defines ecolabels as markings placed on product packaging to assist consumers in identifying products that meet specific environmental performance criteria.
The Bottom Line
Choosing sustainable cleaning products is a small yet impactful step to building an eco-friendly home. By opting for non-toxic and sustainable cleaning products, you can create a safer environment for your family and contribute to the overall well-being of the planet. Eco-friendly cleaning products not only reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals but also minimize pollution in our water systems and decrease plastic waste.
Join the sustainability revolution in India with The Disposal Company’s innovative climate action platform, which enables brands to become plastic-neutral and carbon-neutral. Click here to find out more.